Resources for sijo
Check out our teaching sijo page for more resources intended for teachers,
including video recordings of sijo being taught in pre-college classroom settings.
Video lectures (Youtube)
Sijo lectures by David McCann
Sijo lecture series by Mark Peterson
- Sijo masters in translation by Larry Gross
- Sijo: Power in Diversity by Elizabeth Jorgensen
- A Korean Poetry Competition Motivates Students to Write by Elizabeth Jorgensens (Teachers & Writers Magazine)
- Humanistic Texts - collection of sijo by Chong Chol
- The new haiku? Harvard professor David McCann says America is ready for sijo
Boston Globe interview with David McCann
- Structure of the Korean Sijo by David McCann
- The Sijo, A Window into Korean Culture by David McCann
- Sijo Primer #1 by Larry Gross
- A brief description of sijo by Larry Gross
- An introduction to sijo and its development in North America by Elizabeth St. Jacques
- Essence of Sijo by Jang Gyung-ryul
- Teaching Poetry with Student Exemplars by Elizabeth Jorgensen
- Inquiry, Questioning and Art of Korean Poetry by Elizabeth Jorgensen
- Korean Poetry Competition provides Opportunity for Students by Elizabeth Jorgensen
- Korean Poetry Form Connects Students to Curriculum and Self by Elizabeth Jorgensen
- Richard Rutt. The Bamboo Grove: An introduction to Sijo, University of Michigan Press, 1998.
- David R. McCann, ed. Early Korean Literature, Columbia University Press, 2000.
- Kevin O'Rourke. The Book of Korean Shijo, Harvard East Asian Monographs 215, Harvard-Ewha Series on Korea, Harvard University Asia Center, 2002.
- Lee, Peter. H. The Columbia Anthology of Traditional Korean Poetry. New York: Columbia University Press, 2002. pp.69-160
- Kichung Kim. An Introduction to Classical Korean Literature: From Hyang-ga to P'ansori, Armonk, N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe, 1996.